Student visa for USA

Student visa for USA

US Universities, Colleges and Schools have constantly earned high ranking on the world class instruction rankings. This is only one reason to study in the US. Foundations, for example, Harvard University, Stanford University, MIT, Julliard, Berkeley School of Music, West Point, are on the whole world acclaimed and welcome global students.

The US offers international students the most energizing, fulfilling and far reaching exhibit of study alternatives in the world. International students who decide to study in the US have practically unlimited study choices. Moreover, global students who effectively complete their US study are exceptionally looked for after gen-next experts by employers worldwide.

The quantity of international students at colleges and universities in the United States expanded by 3% to around 8 lakh studies during the 2013-14 scholarly year, as indicated by the Open Doors report, which is distributed every year by the Institute of International Education (IIE) with help from the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

In fact, international students contain around 4% of the all-out undergrad US University and US College populace and 10% for US Graduate School.

Application Procedure

US offers understudy visa (F1) for span of 3-5 years. Post the finishing of MS (Masters of Science), an understudy gets Optional Practical Training (OPT) under which the student is permitted to work all day for as long as 29 months. This enables the study to work while on study visa. In any case, a study can apply for H1B visa (work visa) during or after the completion of OPT, and in this way an understudy can apply for Green Card (lawful permanent residency).

Experts having 7-8 years of work understanding after completion of graduation can likewise apply under the student visa. The Professionals can apply for MBA, PhD and every single other Master programs under the study visa classification and in this way get OPT for as long as 29 months. Further, during or after the completion of OPT, Professionals can also meet all requirements for H1B visa and thusly they can qualify for Green Card.

Jobs and Employment

Business Administration, Science, Teaching, Healthcare, Engineering and a lot more areas offer work chances to the professionals. The employment rate is quite high as this is one of the most flourishing economies of the world. US is the place that is known for flourishing and salary is likewise best in the business for the meriting individuals.


Q1. What are the types of Student Visa available for studying in USA?

The three common visa types for USA study are the F-1 Student Visa, J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa and M-1 Student Visa.

F-1 Student Visa: Academic Study

This is one of the most common types of student visa issued to those who wish to undertake academic studies in USA at an approved school such as an accredited USA college or university, private secondary school or an approved English language program. With an F1 visa, students can undertake part-time, on-campus employment (fewer than 20 hours per week). In addition to this, students can work on optional practical training (OPT) for up to one year once they have completed their academic study.

J-1 Student Visa: Exchange Visitor Visa

A J-1 Student Visa is issued to students who wish to undertake practical training which is not available in their native nation to complete their academic program. A J-1 student status gives similar employment options as the F-1 visa, with similar restrictions, only if permission is given by the exchange visitor program sponsor.

M-1 Student Visa: Non-Academic Study

An M-1 Student Visa is issued to a student who wishes to attend a non-academic or vocational school in USA. Those holding a M-1 visa for vocational and technical programs are not permitted to work during the course of their study period. They must also demonstrate that they have enough funds to support their stay and immediately pay all tuition fees for the entire period they intend to stay.

Note that it is not up the applicants to choose a visa type to apply for study in USA. Instead the university or sponsoring organization will determine the visa type suitable for them.

Q2. What is an I-20 and how do I get it?

The Form I-20 is an official U.S. Government form, issued by a certified school, which a potential non-immigrant student must obtain to get a F-1 or M-1 visa. Form I-20 serves as a proof-of-acceptance and contains all the information necessary to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, apply for a student visa or change the status, and be admitted into USA.

The Form I-20 has the student’s SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) identification number that starts with the letter N and is followed by nine digits, mentioned on the upper right hand side immediately above the barcode.

Q3. How early should one apply for a Student Visa?

Students are encouraged to apply for their non-immigrant student visa as soon as they have their I-20. However, a student visa is generally not issued 120 days prior to the starting date as mentioned in the I-20.

Q4. What is the criteria to qualify for a F-1 visa?

To qualify for F-1 visa, you must:

  • be proficient in English language, unless you are coming USA to take admission in an English language training program. In certain cases the school may make special arrangements to teach you English
  • demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to complete your education in USA
  • be coming to USA to attend a full course of study by a school approved by the USCIS
  • have Form I-20A-B issued by your school

Q5. What are the supporting documents that an applicant needs to furnish at the time of interview?

At the time of interview, you must bring the following documents along: –

  • Documents showcasing strong social, financial, and family ties to your native country which will compel you to return to your country once completion of your study in USA.
  • Financial and any other documents which can serve as evidence that you have enough funds to support your study and stay expenses in USA. M-1 applicants must demonstrate their ability to pay all the tuition and living costs for the entire period of their stay.
  • Bank statements photocopies with originals
  • If you are being financially sponsored by another person, you need to bring proof of your relationship with the sponsor (such as your birth certificate), the sponsor’s most recent original tax forms and the sponsor’s bank books and/or fixed deposit certificates.
  • Academic documents that demonstrate scholastic preparation. These documents include school transcripts (original copies) with grades, public examination certificates (A-levels and more.), standardized test scores (SAT, TOEFL, etc.), and diplomas obtained.

Q6. What are the advantages of studying in the US?

Some of the advantages of undertaking study in USA are as follows: –

  • Variety of educational opportunities
  • Globally accepted educational diplomas/degrees/certificates
  • Multicultural country where students study in an environment that merges the eastern and the western world
  • State-of-the-art research and training programs
  • Global industrial exposure to students
  • Academic excellence
  • Financial aid opportunities
  • Wide internship opportunities
  • Warm and welcoming campuses

Q7. I have received my Student Visa. When should I travel?

Students with any one of the three types of Student visas (F-1, J-1 and M-1) may travel within 30 days of the commencement of the course of study as stated on your I-20/DS-2019, regardless of how early your visa was issued.

Q8. How many attempts are allowed if a visa is denied?

As such there are no restrictions on the number of times you can apply for a student visa after refusal. But each time you re-apply, you will have to pay the fees, fill a fresh application form and show new evidences compared to the documents you furnished when your application was rejected. The new set of evidences must reveal changed circumstances in regard to your financial ties which shall prove that you are not an intending immigrant.

Often visas are denied in case the applicant was unable to prove that he/she is not an intending immigrant and sometimes because he/she fails to answer the question is an appropriate manner i.e. not able to deliver answers to-the-point.

Also, in case you have has two refusals in a period six months, you will have to wait in the normal queue for a visa appointment. You will not get a priority appointment to meet a university deadline if you have been refused twice.